For Fire, Police, or Ambulance - Call 111 now.

In a medical emergency, call 111 and ask for “Ambulance”

Doctors or nurses working in medical clinics or aged care should call 0800 262 655.

Should I call 111?

Call 111 and ask for “Ambulance” if a person is experiencing any of these symptoms: 

  • Pain or tightness in their chest that last longer than 10 minutes (may also be in their arm, jaw, neck or tummy)

  • Difficulty breathing 

  • Choking, when the person can’t talk or breathe 

  • Sudden weakness or sudden difficulty talking 

  • Unresponsive (when you can’t wake the person up)  

  • Severe pain 

  • Severe bleeding or bleeding that won’t stop

If you don't know whether it's urgent and you are worried - call Healthline on 0800 611 116.

 What happens when I call 111?

Hato Hone St John First Aid Guide

Use our first aid guides

First aid saves lives. Our first aid guides explain what to do in an emergency.

Learn what to look for and what to do in an emergency. 

FIND out more

Other care for you and your whānau

You can also find more at Te Whatu Ora Health New Zealand.

Urgent care 

For sprains and broken bones, high fevers and rashes, cuts and grazes, nausea and vomiting.


GP clinic 

For high fevers and rashes, nausea and vomiting, injuries, or generally feeling unwell. 



For feeling unwell, high fevers and mild rashes, mild cuts and grazes.

blank image